The buttons in question are not labeled nor do they have help tags,  but other
than the fact that it is stupid for them not to have done it, it doesn’t
matter.  I’m sure that they are in the menus.  You have a row of radio buttons
that are labeled, and the only on that will work for you is the list.  The
other views are not accessible.  I am very dissatisfied with that, but it isn’t
a show stopper.  I can find a book in the iBooks store, download it, and find
it in my library.  Then I can read it.  I don’t know about accessibility of all
iBooks, but the sample chapter I got is from a very problematic pdf that I have
been using.
I’ve also been able to add pdfs to my library.  So, while it deffinately needs
to be better, it is inaccurate to say that it is unusable.