HI Christine and all,
I'm Australian and until recently used Siri in Australian English with
VoiceOver's default language also being Australian English. Ever since Siri
could understand punctuation, I think sometime back in iOS 5, I used the word
"full stop" and Siri understood this fine. After upgrading to iOS 7 I switched
Siri's language to US English as I wanted the awesome new voices. To my
surprise, Siri still knew what I meant when I said full stop. I thought I might
need to start saying "period" or using other American words or phrases but Siri
seems to react perfectly fine to my Australian English.
Although this is great for me, it does seem difficult for Americans if Siri
can't understand what period means in context. I'm wondering, does it depend on
your phone's language setting rather than Siri' language setting? Also, even
when it was working, how would it react when you used the word "period" in
other contexts? For instance, "The great depression was a difficult period for
many people," or "What class do you have next period?"
Cheers,
Nic