1. If you want your backup clone to be bootable, which you do, then it needs to
have its own partition.
2. This can easily be done with Disc Utility. You need to make sure the
partition is created in the Mac Extended Gernaled format using GID Partition
Table. I'm sorry my spelling of these terms isn't correct but the other options
are different enough that you'll know the one I mean.
Cheers,
Nic