HI Bryan,
Basically, you just select the output you want for system sound in System
Preferences > Sound. You select the output you want for VoiceOver in VoiceOver
Utility > Sounds. These can be the same, or different, whatever you want. Your
music will play through the system sound output, and VoiceOver of course will
play through the VoiceOver sound output.
Cheers,
Nic