Hi list,

Just reporting on some interesting behaviour I just observed which might help
some people with clickable text/AJAX menus.

I was using a website and the main menu had apparently recently been updated.
In Safari version 6.0.5 on Mountain Lion, VoiceOver reported each item as
clickable. I tried doing a VO-space on an item, but it didn't work. I tried
routing the mouse and doing VO-shift-space as well as a physical click on the
TrackPad with TrackPad commander turned off, but neither of these worked
either. I then switched to Google Chrome and tried the same methods, but none
of them worked in Chrome either.

The interesting thing is I tried routing the mouse to the text, and then
turning VoiceOver off with command-F5 and then physically clicking the
TrackPad. This, strangely, worked. It opened an AJAX style submenu with
ordinary links I could click on. I tried this method several times and it
worked. I only tried it in Google Chrome, however.

So, moral of the story is if you find some clickable text or an AJAX style menu
that you can't seem to activate, try routing the mouse, turning VoiceOver off
and physically clicking the TrackPad. Not sure why there would be any
difference with VoiceOver turned on and QuickNav turned off compared with
having VoiceOver turned off, but it was clearly different.

Cheers,
Nic