An alternative approach may be to use the Activity feature of Voiceover to have
application specific settings.
In theory you should be able to set up   one editing application that does  not
have any - typing echo.  Of course this will be a permanent setting for an
application. You might want to get an alternative three editing application
like Beam  four example  which  could then provide typing with   no echo. . . .
 So you can set an activity up  for  Beam   en, and then use that for the time
in which you want to type without typing echo.

David Griffith