Look under the view menu there should be something in there for you. Preferences may not have all the answers you need.

On 14/12/2013 12:42, Lee Jones wrote:
Dear List conversation view in mavericks mail is driving me insane. I
changed to classic layout in preferences and turned off show related
messages but now I can't access the messages at all it just says
conversation blank disclosure triangle  or something to that effect. I
thought classic layout turned off conversations!!! Is it possible to just
have a list of messages with most recent at the top?  If it isn't this is a
dealbreaker.  There is nothing else obvious in preferences.  Now I
understand why hijacking threads is a problem I thought that if I replied to
a message but changed the subject there was no difference than sending a new
message except for the original message bit underneath. Moving through
recent messages from another list I suddenly got a message from early
2012from the same list which it presumably thought was in the conversation.
I thought it was a bug.  I will stop hijacking threads,but I need to turn
off these infernal conversations.

Many Thanks, Lee