It doesn't require it as much as windows, however, I would strongly recommend
its use. clamsav is a good free version and is also quite accessible. Believe
me, with the ever increasing popularity of apple products, its eventually going
to be very hard not to incur the wrath of those who create malware. In this
case, having an antivirus client for OS X is definitely a proactive solution.

-eric