Hi,

Unless this is the newest Airport Extreme, using an external USB drive off an
Airport Extreme is not supported with time machine. That said, the dismounting
of the drive from the finder is the real problem. I have an Other World
Computing Mercury Elite Pro Al enclosure hooked up to an Airport Extreme that
has no random unmounting issues. That uses a 3Tb WD Red drive. I would suggest
you see if another computer can mount the airport shared drive without you
unplugging the drive from the airport. I suspect what you are seeing is a spin
down problem with the drive itself, but it’s hard to diagnose without
additional information.

Bottom line is the drive should not randomly unmount, but you should not be
using that set up for time machine either.

—k