HI Annie,

If you have an 8 GB disk available for creating a bootable Mavericks installer,
you can with the terminal. Make sure the drive is named untitled and that you
have the latest Mavericks installer from the Mac app store.
Once your flash drive is empty, you can copy and paste this command into the
terminal
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\X\
Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled
--applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction
Press return after putting that in, enter your admin password, and your disk
should be made to be bootable to install Mavericks. Also make sure that the
installer has not been moved from its default location in your applications
folder.
Rachel