Hi all.

I want to start a sighted friend up with a new iPad Air. She does not live in
my area so communication must be done over the phone or by email. She is
definitely not tech savvy! In fact, with the linux system she is now running, I
had to give her step-by-step instructions in writing and then had to practice
them with her several times. It isn't that she's not intelligent; she has a
neurological difficulty which results in her being a very concrete thinker and
if you are going to teach her something about a technological device you have
to cover every step. I think she can learn the iPad but it will take some work
by both of us. So I hope somebody won't mind answering some questions. The
reason I taught her to do mail in a text-based-only linux system is that when
she tried to learn Windows an accidental keypress or mouse click into some
screen she wasn't expecting or any behavior of Windows she didn't understand
got her immediately and totally lost.

1. Is there any way at all to pair a bluetooth keyboard with the iPad before
doing the iPad setup. I sort of think the answer is "no" but thought I'd ask.

2. If there's no way to pair a bluetooth keyboard first, would I do better to
have her turn voiceover on? Then I could hear what she was doing at least
during the setup. I prefer to do touch typing during setup and if she did that
we might encounter problems with the rotor motion but since she can see the
double tap might work fine for her and indeed she might make more mistakes with
the touch typing.

3. Once we make it through setup and pair the keyboard (I'm thinking of the
Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover), I can't teach her sighted gestures. I could
just teach her to use it with voiceover and mute speech if she wants to do so,
but if I could find a video for her to watch with basic iPad gestures (bery
basic!) she might be able to do without voiceover. Does anybody know of such a
video? I thought of sending her to the Apple Store for help but I think both
she and the tech person would end up frustrated.

The reason I am thinking of an iPad rather than  aMacbook air, besides pricing,
is that she basically only does email and i'm hoping she can also learn to surf
the web eventually also with the iPad. I don't think she needs to get involved
in all the other complexities of learning other applications or maintenance and
update procedures of Mavericks. I don't think she needs a lot of disk space
although I am going to ask her if she plans to put music or videos on the iPad
and backups with the cloud will be easy once set up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: