Hi, Jenine,

the notification center is one item in the status menus. You can reach the
status menus with Vo-m twice or control-f8 (the non-VO, standard way) as well.
You'll land on the last item you worked with in the status menus. The
notification center is within the menus and manages notifications from various
applications. It's handy too have a keyboard shortcut just to get to the
notification center itself, especially if you do a lot of social networking or
if you have various automated tasks or updates.

HtH,
Teresa