If you don't have speech, you are sort of stuck. VMWare can do some
configuration, but I installed it once and had to just press enter, and another
time it prompted for a whole bunch of settings. Both were Windows 7, both on
virtual machines. Once you are up and running, you can launch Narrator and use
that to get a real screen reader installed, though the process is horribly
tedious. I find it much simpler to just have a sighted person click through
everything, then grab NVDA from www.nvda-project.org and install it. Once I
have that, I'm all set, but up to that point it is much easier and error-free
to have sighted help.

--
Have a great day,
Alex