Yeah, they *can* be small, but sometimes, they get huge.  They are just
annoying to the win users, too.
there is an app called blue harvest which removes all the "mac dust" from
removeable devices.  At last check, though, it wasn't useable with mavericks,
unfortunately.
Here, I am reduced to removing those files by hand on the other computers.
Cait