Reggie,
You just hit enter on a message when you want to read it.  After you read it,
you can then hit delete or use command w to close the message and then do with
it as you like.

As for getting rid of it, there are several ways.
I am using a script, but others are having problems with this same apple script.

One way to get rid of the preveiw pane is to find the horizontal splitter in
your messages table.  Interact with the splitter, bring the mouse to it with vo
shift f5, then I think you have to drag your finger down on the track pad,
making sure the vo part of the track pad is turned off.  You turn off the track
pad commander by doing vo and turning your fingers like a dial, like on the i
phone.  vo will say track pad commander on or off, depending.

You will know if the pane is gone because then you will have to hit enter on a
message to read it, instead of using vo j.

hth.
Cait