First,  shut down the VM, then go into the general settings for the VM (command
E and select the general button). arrow right and you'll come to a total size
field with the size of your VM file, followed by a clean up VM  button.
to see how much disk space you can reclaim by cleaning, keep right arrowing and
you'll see your disk size again followed by a number that indicates the amount
of disk space that will be reclaimed.
Just press the "clean up VM button and let it do its thing. in a minute or two,
depending on whether you have a SSD or mechanical drive, VO will speak up and
you can then check the new disk size and also see that the reclaimable space is
now zero. That's all there is to it.