Gustavo Barbieri wrote:

Hello,

Now that I have the maemo environment set up, I started to love this
thing!!! And python!

Thanks to Osvaldo and Ruda, I can run PythonCAD without any changes!

Also, my game tutorial (pt_BR) runs perfectly (just need to check the
perfomance on a real device, since it's side scroll and redraws the
screen every time):

Hello Gustavo, thank you for your feedback!

http://www.gustavobarbieri.com.br/jogos/jogo.tar.gz
   Could someone run "python2.4 jogo/a06/jogo.py -f -r 800x480" on a
real device and check if performance is an issue... if it can do at
least 30fps it's good enough. If it's ok I'll develop a game using
that engine. Also, it can be optimized a bit, I wrote it as an
educative project.

SHORT ANSWER

It run slow, about 15 ~ 20 fps and crashed with Segmentation fault at the end (when ships goes to zero).

LONG ANSWER

It was visible slower than what was printed on screen (15 ~ 20 fps) but...
You should think not in terms of PC, for a small device a game should take modification in order to run fast. First I notice some calculations with division ( like "something" / 16 ) and I change it to shifts ( >> 4 ). Why? Because I know 770 lacks division opcodes in CPU. well, it as not a good improvement at all :)

The screen size *is* big, 800x480 is much data. People in this case should consider resize the rolling image to a small size, put some static pictures around, etc.

Maybe your code is good to teach OO but it isn't the best case for game speed. For your information, here is what PyGame show me about my display in Nokia 770.

<VideoInfo(hw = 0, wm = 1,video_mem = 0
             blit_hw = 0, blit_hw_CC = 0, blit_hw_A = 0,
             blit_sw = 0, blit_sw_CC = 0, blit_sw_A = 0,
             bitsize  = 16, bytesize = 2,
             masks =  (63488, 2016, 31, 0),
             shifts = (11, 5, 0, 0),
             losses =  (3, 2, 3, 8)>

Again, thank you for your feedback and if you want to do more tests in "the real thing" I'm ready to help you.

--
Ruda Moura