On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:30 pm, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Gustavo Barbieri wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anyone started a KDE port or is interested in one?
> >
> > Main reasons is that many KDE applications already have tweaks to fit
> > small devices, since they run in some QTopia/Opie environments.
>
> Those are mostly QT (or qpe) apps, since kdelibs is one huge monolothic
> beast with a messed up build system (scratchbox to the rescue!!). I've
> heard rumours that the new kdelibs will have some finer grained
> packaging, so the situation might improve. I think that the apps need to
> be rewritten to run with GTK in stead of QT as a UI toolkit to integrate
> into hildon. Any QT experts that know what kind of porting would be
> involved around?

There are already several kde apps that use 'microkde' sources as a go between
Qtopia/Qt and kde.
Unfortunately there are several versions of 'microkde' sources as well.

But these use Qt Embedded, and since there is X server on this (unless you ran
these apps in qvfb - which could be modified to be 'windowless'), one would
need to use Qt-x11, which rules out Qtopia (and Opie for now).

> > Also, KHTML + KPIM + KOffice would be a great offer for those that
> > want productivity + conectivity. KPIM is specially meant to work well
> > on disconnected system with it's new kitchensync arch.
>
> At the moment already we have GPE + abiword + gnumeric which can use
> (multi/open)sync. All these apps are hildonized, or mostly hildonized.
> So you can already be productive and connected if using non-QT software
> on an X server isn't against your religion.
> Once again, having a choice is good, but fragmentation and reinventing
> the wheel is bad.
heh... I wont even touch this.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter