You should distinguish between algebra calculation
software and numerical calculation software. All of
them normally come with a more or less powerful
graphics interface.

  Algebra calc.: this software performs algebra
calculations giving in the end and analytical
solution.
They normally can also do numerical calculations but
they are normally not very efficient at this. For
Linux you have:

  Non-free: -Mathematica, well known.
            -Maple, a MatLab add on.
  Gratis (free as in beer):
            -Mupad
  Libre (free as in speech):
            -Gias/Xcas, I just recently came to know
this one (thanks Jose ;=)

  Numerical calc.: This only performs numerical
calculations (number crunching) generally using some
form of matrix notation to speed the writing of
commands. They are moderate or very efficient at
number crunching. For Linux you have:

  Non-free: -MatLab, well known
            -IDL, also well known.
  Libre:
            -Octave (MatLab clone).
            -Python-numeric, ipython, extension of
python to do numerical calculations.
            -Tela
            -PDL, Perl Data Language, extension of
Perl for numerical calculation. From my point of view,
by far the best free soft numerical calculation
language available (pdl.perl.org)