> Have you really looked at Gtk TreeView and related stuff?  It has a lot
> of features (single&multiple selection, cell renderers, async updates, tree
> and list view, columns & optional headers, drag & drop, stylus and
> keyboard interaction etc), and *all* of them are used/required in N770 apps.
> TreeView/Model have more code than some complete widget sets I've known...

Yep I know GtkTreeView and the whole custom table renderes etc however
the same could be archived with much less, these features are default
today and I never (except once) used a toolkit which did not support
that features.
Even a small java-based toolkit (250kb) which I use in a project now
supports this (its even more flexible than GTK with an flexibel
model-view-controller design which allows as much abstraction as you
need withought blaoting the code too much for small wisgets).
However I don't want to flame nore do I want to say I think GTK was a
really bad choice, but it also has its drawbacks.
I am looking foreward when Maemo will migrate to 2.8 and the whole
cairo overhead will be there (since cairo has an FP api and Maemo
doesn't use anything which canno't be done accerlated which is now
done in software).

> Same goes for TextView too.
Right, thats why I installed the xterminal on my 770 of course.
But that would make a difference for the user, using fox (or whatever)
won't - the user would only notice that scolling / redrawing is faster
;-)

However thats just my personal opinion and its even only an opinion,
nothing to take serious.
So please no flame ;)

lg Clemens