> > On Wednesday 04 January 2006 21:53, Aaron Levinson wrote:
> >
> > > As a general rule, building and running strictly X applications isn't
> > > going to cut it on the 770, and a true port of a GUI application to
> the
> > > maemo platform requires some programming, quite possibly extensive
> > > programming if the original application is only written using X.

I'm discovering this with my port of rdesktop. I have a (very early) alpha
running which lets you enter some basic data through a messy GTK+ dialog then
runs rdesktop full-screen.

The mouse stuff is all fine (although double-clicking takes some effort!) but
the big problem is that it's all written in X11 code. I'm going to have to
completely rewrite the X stuff for Hildon, replacing the event loop etc (it was
difficult enough to port the make to autogen!)

This is a good example of how the "unique" nature of the 770's architecture can
get you close on a port - but still miles away! :-)

Simon