On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 04:42:38PM +0200, Devesh Kothari wrote:

> But I think it should still be possible to construct a gstreamer pipeline
> which would for example do ogg decoding on arm side and feed to the
> DSP PCM sink or something. But  I am just reasonably guessing :)

This is my understanding as well. If the DSP is configured to control
the audio hardware, it's easier to have it handle at least pcm playback,
but one can make a sink plugin that takes data at just about any stage
of decompression and handles the rest on the dsp. I imagine it's also
possible to write plugins that only offload some of their processing to
the dsp and do the rest on the arm.

> You can hack I guess even today, but you would have to try it on the
> real product. You cant try it on the developer rootfs, which gives you
> a lot many other tools too, which ease development and hacking.

FWIW, I tried this a few weeks ago, trying to build a vorbis plugin
against both upstream gstreamer-0.8 and the version in the maemo
repository, but I couldn't get gstreamer to recognize the new plugin.

If anyone gets this working, please let me know!

 -r