Israel Herraiz wrote:
Hi everybody,

sorry if my question seems too evident.

As far as I know, the Nokia 770 contains a flash memory (128 MB), a RAM
memory (64 MB) and the MMC card.

All the filesystem is stored in the flash memory, and the MMC is mounted
in /media/mmc1. Even, you can make swapping with a file in the MMC, as
appeared some days ago in Planet Maemo.

I am wondering if swapping and every day writing in the internal flash
could damage these memories. Some people told me that flash memories
should not be used for frequent disks writing (like swapping or every
day usage of a computer). Is this relevant? I mean, could I damage the
flash memory if I use the device very often and I make swap on the MMC
or internal flash?

Regards,
Israel Herraiz

Older NOR flash has a 100,000 write limitation (complete write), NAND flash has about one million write cycles. All flash memory these days is NAND.

I wouldn't recommend swap on flash, but you (if you must) probably want swap on a removable card.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Trolltech Qtopia Community Manager