Michael Koch wrote:

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 02:37:17PM +0100, Philippe Laporte wrote:
If you link native to a GPL VM, then that code must also be GPL, no? That is an absolute requirement in the embedded world...

That is true. But running java bytecode in with a GPL vm and loading JNI
libs during that doenst render all the java/native code you run with the
VM to GPL.
and this context does not apply to CLDC...
I don't know much about Maemo. Perhaps you should be more clear on what
you really need/want to do.

Maemo is the platform for the 770. It doesn't have Java support yet, but when it does it sure can manage CDC, which goes your way, but still, the big guys will want a clear picture, and in the past LGPL has been a go, and GPL a no-go.

Are you saying SableVM is using FUD tactics? They seem to be believe strongly in their position...

There are just two sides with different opinions. They have their opinion.
FSF/GNU classpath has theirs.

Well then we all want to know what Nokia's legions of lawyers have to say...:-)