On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > Another bigger limit is the amount of internal ram: so why
> > not to have a
> > > simplified hildon-input method that free lot of ram for people who
> > > doesn't need the HWR (that I repeat, at the moment is
> > totally useless
> > > for me), simply selectable via control panel?
> >
> > I also wouldn't mind having this functionality. Or, how bad can it be
> > if we had some way to replace the vkb app with something else? I don't
> > care if it won't have HWR or even letters on the vkeys :P
> >

> Is the HWR always loaded? If yes, could lazy loading the HWR (when it is
> first used) save memory for people that only use the VKB?

I'm pretty sure that both input methods are implemented in the same
library, hildon-im-module.so.  So, unless they are separated into separate
libraries, I would say no.  There are technically three input methods
provided on the 770, the virtual keyboard IM, the handwriting IM, and the
keyboard IM (known as XIM).  The keyboard IM is provided in a separate
library, im-xim.so.  Also, there is a UI component for
hildon-im-module.so, libhildoninputmethodwidgets.so.

Aaron Levinson