I gotta say as a third party developer that the state of Maemo is rather frustrating, it seems like a far from done piece of work and a moving target. I've seen a lot of complaints on industry reviews of the device as well to the stability and selection of software included on the device. What's happening at Nokia to help with this and remove the perception that the device is a beta unit?

thanks,
shawn

At 08:52 AM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 08:51 -0300, ext Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Eagle (http://www.gustavobarbieri.com.br/eagle/) was ported to
> Maemo/Hildon (http://blog.gustavobarbieri.com.br/2006/04/eagle-in-maemo.html).

In your blog you had mentioned this:

> However I opted to not port every component, like HildonColorButton
> or HildonNote because I think they're not well designed, they don't
> even provide signal "changed", used by Eagle's DataWidget to persist
> data automatically. As API will change in Maemo 2.0, I won't bother
> with this until then.

HildonColorButton and HildonNote APIs are not changing in any signifcant
way, so don't let that stop you from including more widgets in the
supported list.

Hildon-related API changes are more or less limited to HildonApp and
AppView and gtk_infoprint (and widgets no one was supposed to be using
anyway)  See http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HildonWidgets for a bit more
details.

HildonColorButton doesn't need a specific "changed" signal, it is
already provided, though it's called "notify::color" and the callback
signature is slightly strange
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gobject/gobject-The-Base-Object-Type.html#GObject-notify)
(The older version of generated API documentation misses some crucial
bits like signals and properties, the new API has slightly better
generated documentation in
https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/doc/api/hildon-libs/HildonColorButton.html)

It's a less known feature in GObjects that all properties have implicit
"changed" signals associated with them. It has the benefit that you
don't need multiple "foo-changed", "bar-changed", ... signals for
complex objects.

So the lack of "extra" signal is intentional and we plan to use the same
design in new widgets as well, see HildonProgram for example.

--
Tommi Komulainen                            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President
theKompany.com