On 4/20/06, Lorn Potter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Weinehall David (Nokia-M/Tampere) wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Just using plain Qtopia wouldn't have been an option, just as using
> > plain GTK+ without Hildon wasn't an option; we had to use a UI that
> > looks somewhat like Nokia's earlier products, without forking too
> > wildly.  So the work effort would've been the same either way; the
> > difference being that Qtopia would've incurred the added penalties
> > of a licensing cost, C++, and of course the extra legal issues
> > surrounding the fact that Qtopia is GPL, not LGPL.  The Nokia legal
>
> Correction. Qtopia is dual licensed, commercial and GPL. GPL of course
> has no licensing cost.

I remember seeing (but cannot confirm right now) a statement that some
modules were not allowed to be used on GPL when I compiled the
opensource version of Qtopia last night. So I guess to really have
that edge whith all the readily available thingies that were mentioned
one must pay the fee anyway?

> The only "legal" difference of GPL and LGPL is
> that GPL insures derived sources remain open.

No. Sources will always remain open with LGPL too. It's the combining
and linking with non-free (in fact, any) licensed work that LGPL
allows (and GPL doesn't).

--
Kalle Vahlman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]