I work as a developer for a company that needs to create a mobile mapping system. We will be developing the software for the system in house, (which will be released under an open source license), and we are looking for a dedicated hardware platform. We would prefer Linux, and are trying to avoid Windows Mobile/Windows CE if at all possible.

We thought we had found the solution when we stumbled across Sharp's Zaurus with Linux. However, we were disappointed to learn Sharp is no longer supporting that product in the US. Someone recommended we look at the Nokia 770. I had a couple of questions about programming for the handheld I need to answer before I can see if this a viable option for us.

[1] What are Nokia's future plans for supporting a handheld with a Linux OS? Have the made any indication as to their commitment to the open source community, and how had the 770 worked out for the company? (I hope there adventure with Linux and open source has been profitable...)

[2] How rugged is the Nokia 770? How is the readability of the screen after exposure to sunlight? What is the battery life? (Our typical users will have the unit outdoors for long periods of time.) Is there an rugged case for the Nokia 770? (I couldn't find anything at OtterBox...)

[3] How mature is the Python environment for application development on the Nokia, and will we be able to use GTK for our GUI design?

[4] How is access to external devices like a digital camera, GPS unit, or other device for application developers? Is it rather straight forward, or more like a nightmare? Has anyone tried interfacing with a handheld GPS unit via a USB connection?

Thanks for any information. I look forward to working with, and contributing to the Maemo community if I have the opportunity.

Scott Huey
Application Developer - Redefined Horizons