Hi,

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:58:30AM -0700, smartkenny wrote:
> I contacted with Daniƫl who is a FPC developer, and he want to ask the
> following questions:
>
> Can you ask them what the different between EABI and normal cdecl calling
> convention is? Obviously, since GTK is C code, all interfacing to it is
> expected to have cdecl calling convention.

AFAIK Gtk in the device is compiled with -mthumb.  This is not
compatible with non-thumb code unless EABI is used.   (And EABI
is not compatible with non-EABI using code, but maybe by accident
it might in some cases appear "to work"?)

> We support for ARM:
> - Cdecl
> - CPPcdecl - same as cdecl but with different name mangling
> - Stdcall
> - Stdcall with floating point numbers handled like equal integers (called
>   softfloat by us).

I think this should provide all the required information:
        http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

EABI allows mixing libraries with hardfloat, shoftfloat and thumb
code.  I.e. one can decide per library/binary what is the best
compromise between speed and memory usage.  (In some cases softfloat
might even be faster than "hardfloat" although device would have FPU
because the kernel might need to emulate some features missing from
the FPU. Doing emulation on the user-space is usually faster because
you avoid context switches. :-))

        - Eero