Devesh Kothari wrote:

Can I distribute hacked initfs? If not, is binary patch OK?

I am not a legal expert, but please read the EULA (End user license
agreement). I would be pretty surprise if they would let you do so :)

Devesh

I am not a legal expert too so reading EULA is probably waste of time :-) But anyway I will put instructions how to rebuild it somewhere but release also binary diff and wait for Nokia lawyers to ask me to remove it. IMO binary diff is not considered as breaking "You may not copy, distribute, or make derivative works of the Software". In theory it should contain only my pieces of software.

So far I have stripped initfs with one extra uclibc binary to check which key is pressed and shell stript to show onscreen menu. It still boots fine when no key is pressed :)

As for the uclibc toolchain it was the one without soft floats.

I'm still not sure whether I should store last rootfs setting with cal-tool in config partition or better write it to file in initfs filesystem (mtd3, jffs2) or somewhere else.

BTW when editing /linuxrc multiple times it happened to me that I still had 124 blocks free and could remove files but creating/modifying file produced 'no space on device'. Looks like some trouble with jffs2 garbage collecting. This is strange. I wonder whether reboot may fix this? Unfortunately the file I successfully deleted was /linuxrc so I had to reflash.

Frantisek