So, I have packed these X dependencies mentioned above (libXt, libICE and libSM) into my .deb file , and they install fine if *and only if* they have not been installed before by another application or whatever. In the case when they are already installed my .deb installation hangs when it tries to replace them with the following message:

$ dpkg -i mydeb.deb
(Reading database ... 11120 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking minimo (from mydeb.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing mydeb.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libSM.so.6.0.1', which is also in package libsm6
mydeb.deb

I'd like to be able to verify if they are already available in the system before trying to install them , how could I do ? preinst ?

regards

On 7/7/06, Eero Tamminen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

> still wordering why are these libraries available on devel rootstrap (so
> it makes possible to your app to depend on them) but not on the device
> image ?

The point of the devel rootstrap is to be able to build software.
So, SDK contains additional build dependencies for the target SW.
Most of the additional build deps are for the -dev packages,
but I think non-dev build deps also exist for some of the target
packages.

        - Eero

--Antonio Gomes