Dan Brinks wrote:

When I do this with my (working) filesystem, and then flash the n770 with the new rootfs, I get into an infinite reboot cycle. Any thoughts?

Dan Brinks

Well, last time I tried this with rootfs it was still with IT2005 and it worked. Then I tried it with initfs (IT2006) and it worked too.

I also used slightly more complex procedure which should be equivalent.
I din't know amout -x rsync flag so I used extra mount on n770 - 'mount /dev/mtdblock4 /floppy -t jffs2 -o rw,noatime,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000' and rsynced /floppy instead of / to get rid of mounted filesystems.

Apart from incomplete/corrupted flashing or bad network/rsync transfer my only idea is that you may try to clean up var/run before making the rootfs. But this is strange, device boots even with crashes so this shouldn't be a problem. Also the flasher has option to disable life guard so the device does't reset when something goes wrong. Maybe you can also skip the sumtool command, mkfs should be enough too. It should only take longer to mount the filesystem.

Also did you login as root to your PC? Maybe this is file permission problem. I'm not sure you can rsync and make the filesystem with correct permissions if you are logged in as ordinary user.

I'll try it with IT2006 rootfs soon just to be sure it works.

Frantisek