I "bricked" my N770 temporarily this way over the weekend. What ends up
happening is one of the watchdog timers fails to fire on-time due to cpu load
(not sure what specific process was unhappy).

To fix it (without data loss):

* Use `flasher` to -enable- R&D mode
* Use `flasher` to -disable- the watchdog timers (IIRC I disabled two of
them)
* Allow the N770 to boot normally
* Bring up your 802.11b/g network
* Spawn an xterm window
* Gain root
* Complete the apt-get upgrade

Two packages relating to gnome vfs2.0 refuse to upgrade, everything else
seems to be happy.

I'd started with the IT 2006 released build, very few customizations.

One note... Opera seems to be a bit misbehaved after apt-get upgrade ... not
sure why yet, but it doesn't play well with Microsoft's "light" OWA interface
anymore.

-JMills
--
Jason Mills -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]