Ed Bartosh wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 23:00 -0400, ext Peter Kahle wrote:
How are people handling packaging when the upstream already includes a debian directory?

On http://wiki.debian.org/Emdebian_Nokia there's mention of using a DEBIAN_DIR environment variable to specify an alternate directory, but it doesn't seem to work for me in scratchbox. Is there anything special I have to do besides setting the variable?
You should use patched debian utilities, which understand DEBIAN_DIR
directory. Unfortunately they're not included into Maemo development
environment.
If you're interested I can put experimental emdebian devkit for
scratchbox somewhere for downloading. It contains patched
apt,dpkg,debhelper,cdbs and some other packaging tools.
I don't really need that yet. For my purposes, knowing the package is using the preferred method is good enough. I'm not building debian and maemo packages from the same working directory, so shuffling directories a little once is acceptable.
Here is draft of emdebian packaging rules:
http://wiki.debian.org/Embedded_Debian_packaging_rules?highlight=%
28CategoryEmdebian%29
And there is also example of making Emdebian package out of Debian one.
If someone is interested in the approach I can put this example in
emdebian wiki.
Thanks for that, some more reading for me to do.

Peter