Daniel Stone wrote:

It means that the video hardware does not support RGB565 (everything on
the device, basically) and YUV together.  You can't have part of the
screen being RGB and part being YUV; the problem is a couple of layers
below the X server.

Oh, thanks. Now I understand. From the product brief http://www.erd.epson.com/vdc/html/contents/S1D13742.htm and from kernel sources I wrongly guessed that the conversion is done on the fly (per each update) when moving data from main memory to videoram. But as it is simple DMA it looks like nonsense. Yet it is interesting that the chip must do same operation when moving data on the fly from its internal video memory (if setup as YUV) to LCD hardware in RGB. Why this is possible and the first one not?

But anyway we could still hack it and change the format at least at fullscreen for video playback. This should be possible with some dirty tricks, correct?

Frantisek