> "ext Marius Vollmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I'd say now is a good time to start experimenting.  I would be happy
> > to add some hacks to the osso-application-installer in sardine...
>
> Ok, I am going to do the following (in the next days or so): the
> "Check for updates" view will include a fake entry "Operating system"
> and when updating that one you will get the something like "apt-get
> upgrade".  I will likely start just with upgrading all non-user
> packages that can be upgraded without braking dependencies of user
> packages (or something like that).
>
> All hidden (non-user) packages are considered part of the operating
> system, so libeventdb would be upgraded although it is a third-party
> package.

Do you have a good solution for handling packages that cannot be
upgraded while the HAF is running? Currently at least maemo-launcher
falls in this category.

I have listed in the Maemo Wiki [1] the current problems with upgrading
Sardine on the 770, this seems to be the thorniest issue right now.

I had a chat with Guillem some time ago. I got the picture that making
maemo-launcher upgradeable without shutting down the HAF would be quite
hard. So I've been thinking about a separate tool that would shut down
the HAF and do the upgrade non-interactively, before starting the HAF
again. I've just started hacking on something along these lines docked
to the status bar. But maybe you have a better idea? Maybe we're being
too pessimistic about the maemo-launcher?

[1] http://maemo.org/maemowiki/SardineDistro