On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 16:24 -0300, ext Alessandro Ikeuchi wrote:
> Bah...
> My future features are more realistic:
> -source codes;

https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/trunk/
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mistral/
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/sardine/

You can also request the source codes on CD-ROM as per GPL.

The offer naturally only covers the software that is not proprietary. I
am not going argue with rants about whether $proprietary_application
should or is going to be open sourced or not. Today things are the way
they are.

However if you could provide constructive comments about how open
sourcing more (and which specifically) things would benefit Nokia (this
is not free as in beer for us I'm afraid) I'm sure the discussion would
be more fruitful.

> -more reliable API docs;
> -more reliable SDK docs;

How are they not reliable? Missing something? What? Inaccurate? Where?

Again, constructive comment are more likely to get something done. You
could for example file bugs in https://maemo.org/bugzilla/ or add notes
to http://maemo.org/maemowiki/DocumentationWanted . We can't work on the
problems if we don't know what the real problems are.

Please keep in mind that this is the first time Nokia has done open
source on this scale. We're still taking baby steps. But we're willing
to learn, and feedback from the community is appreciated. Unfortunately
rants are rarely helping.

What comes to console applications and such, I'd say that's subjective.
I just can't see the market for such device these days (everyone wants
flashy eye candy), but then again, I'm just a technical person so what
do I know.

We know about your concerns regarding Ogg (and probably BT and GStreamer
as well -- I should probably poke the people in charge.) More often than
not there are good reasons (priorities, resources, cost/benefit, ...)
for these things, we're not doing this to spite you. It's just that some
things are difficult to communicate outside, for whatever reason.

--
Tommi Komulainen                            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>