I might be missing something, but I think this is a bug in the SDK:

In the SDK, libSM and libICE are available, while on the device, they are not.

For example VLC's configure.ac script uses AC_PATH_XTRA()
from /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/libs.m4, which correctly finds libSM and
libICE in the SDK and adds them to the libs to link to the x11 plugin. On the
device of course the x11 plugin will then fail to load because the libs
cannot be found.

I think the libs should be removed from the SDK (or at least be made
removable). For that to happen, some dependencies would have to be resolved,
ie xlibs-dev.

cheers,
Christian Henz