On Tuesday 24 October 2006 12:35, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> This is somewhat offtopic, but does somebody know what a good alternatives
> to Flash sites? Typically I assume that flash sites have small movies
> embedded and allow user interaction (?). I.e. if I blame the flash content
> of a side what do I tell them to use instead?

The KISS principle.

IMHO, Flash is almost never necessary for a good web site. By far the most
useless/annoying use of Flash these days is at Youtube and it's ilk. Before
the Adobe beta, Youtube and company were a PITA for Linux users, and even now
they require non-free software to work easily. There are browser plugins for
streaming media, Flash supporting video like this is serious feature creep
IMHO.

For navigation purposes nothing beats good standards-based (X)HTML, CSS, and
maybe some light Javascript. Flash menus are not necessary except for, well,
flash.

The only other use of Flash I can come up with is more attention-grabbing
advertisements, which I ignore anyway. Maybe Flash has a use in interactive
product demos before we have more capable W3C SVG implementations, but from
my user prospective this doesn't mean anything.

My KISS prospective is certainly the antithesis of the design of many
commercial web sites. But the simpler, the better for exotic platforms like
the 770.

--
Andrew Barr