"ext Frantisek Dufka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Best would be to use dpkg-repack [1] script which rebuilds packages
> from installed system (including modified config files) so you can
> reinstall them later.

We were thinking about that, but I have uneasy feelings about
recreating packages from the files in a live system.  I don't have
anything conrete in mind to back this up, it just doesn't feel right
(to me).  For example, using the original package name and version
when recreating a package feels wrong (since the content is now
different), but using a different name or version might mess up the
dependency relations.  Dunno.  I should definitly look at dpkg-repack
more closely.

For the immediate feature, we will be going with the "backup list of
installed applications and offer to install them again after a
restore."