I thought I would post this so that other people might find it via google when they hit similar issues to us trying to figure out which USB peripherals work out of the box (we tried a lot that claimed to work in Linux and don't work in 2.6 kernel with Manufacturers drivers let alone on the Nokia). No doubt others can improve on the things I have said.

Top Tip see if the hardware is listed in the source code of the USB modules that are compiled on the Nokia - then spend weeks googling to find out who actually uses that obscure Chip (e.g. pl2303) that everyone says works. If it is in the source code for the 2.16 kernel but not compiled on the nokia you can presumably compile it as a module and insmod it - unfortunately I don't know how to compile just the modules - a how to from someone please?

HowToSetupVariousPerihperals

You may wish to first look at
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Easy_USB_Host_Hub_setup
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot2
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_SwitchToHostMode

In essence you will need to be able to become root and you will need to have used the flasher to enable host mode (then use http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_SwitchToHostMode to switch back to non host mode whenever you need on a temporary basis)

You will probably want to setup some kind of file networking e.g. to a windows share
so you can put files on the device more easily.
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowToAccessWindowsCIFS <- Note does not work with newest 2006 kernel, try samba client instead

Everything below assumes you have setup a powered USB hub that provides power back to the Nokia and the Nokia is in USB host mode.

Working Devices (out of the box)

HUBS (all should work, as long as you figure a way to do the power thing, Y cable method is best) Targus Mini USB 2.0 4-Port Hub comes with Y cable that can do the power thing, but you will need to buy a power supply for it. PCWB you can buy a 2.5 amp 5v 'Digital Camera Adapter' PSU for targus Hub from Maplin for £10 tip positive, so no need to solder D-Link DUB H4 - Hub - 4 ports - Hi-Speed USB 10 cm x 6 cm x 2.6 cm PCWB (has power supply but no Y cable)

USB Keyboards (all should work when connected to powered hub)

USB to Serial (RS232) anything using the pl2303 chip (the on board serial port uses this chip, so it is already in the kernel and will load the module when you plug in, type dmesg to see it detected)
USB to Serial 9 Pin Male Adaptor Maplin code ZP43W (uses pl2303 chip)

TRENDnet TU-ET100C USB 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (Apparently not tested by me)
A Cyberpower 4-port USB 2.0 powered hub (Apparently not tested by me)
dlink dub-e100 (rev A only not the new B, see below) (Apparently not tested by me)

Not working out of the box
StarTech.com 2 Port USB to RS-232 Serial DB9 Adapter PCWB unsuccessful at making it work in Ubuntu with Manufacturer drivers Keyspan High Speed USB Serial Adapter - Serial adapter - USB - RS-232 - serial - Probably could be made to work by compiling module and insmod on device. Belkin USB to Serial Adaptor F5U109 (mct_u232.o is available for the kernel so probably could be compiled and loaded) dlink dub-e100 (rev B) (newer kernel should support it, can be made to work by compiling the kernel - you will need to update ASIX.C USBNET.C USBNET.H to the 2.6.18 Kernel - or just overwrite them and then apply various patches to ASIX.C and USBNET.C to make the REV B work - details in another mail, as I can do it with the whole kernel but really want to do it with a module.)

Various useful cables
StarTech.com - USB cable - 4 PIN USB Type A (M) - 5 pin mini-USB Type B (M) - 1.8 m ( USB / Hi-Speed USB ) PCWB StarTech.com - USB gender changer - 4 PIN USB Type A (F) - 4 PIN USB Type A (F) PCWB
StarTech.com - USB adapter - 4 PIN USB Type A (F) - 4 PIN USB Type B (M) PCWB

1 meter USB 2.0 Cable for 2.5in USB HDD www.usbtech.co.uk

Powering the Nokia from the USB hub (why plug in two 5v PSUs when one will do? and why on earth didn't they design it to power/recharge from it's USB socket anyway?) Obviously this is somewhat destructive but you may have more luck sourcing the exact parts.

Heat-Shrinkable Sleeving
  BF88V - 3.5mm Heatshrink 1m - £1.63
  BF89W - 5.0mm Heatshrink 1m - £1.73
(actually maybe some smaller stuff too)
2500mA Digital Camera Power Supply   (power the targus hub from PCWB)
  L69BQ - Digital Camera SMPS - £9.99
USB 2.0 A to B Leads (or you could use PN86T - USB A Plg- £1.17 if ever in stock)
  L00BT - USB2 A(M)-B(M) 1.5m - £7.99

Cut the USB lead in half, cut your nokia power lead in half (I have tried to source the jack they use and bought everyone that Maplin supply and none fit). Expose the USB inner cables (discard the outer shielding). Put the big heatshrink onto the USB cable and two small ones on the red and black cable before soldering. Now you onbiosuly will have checked with a multimeter which way around the nokia tip is powered? No - PDA Outside neg, whiteish, inside positive no sheath. Connect the Red to no colour, Black to white. Viola you can power the nokia off a power USB hub.

Parts
Web sites for parts listed are UK web sites and they also have real world shops.
PCWB = PC World Business http://www.pcwb.com
Maplin = http://www.maplin.co.uk