Michael Dominic Kostrzewa wrote:

IMHO, part of the success[1] of mono is the fact that it uses (can use)
Gtk almost natively. People who know Gtk can jump on the bandwagon
instantly, benefiting from the C# object-oriented features without
"losing" any C knowledge.
Again, maybe I'm just not looking into the right places... but has
anyone actually managed to achieve this (kind of) UI-abstraction with
Java? I mean -- is is possible to run those games for mobile phones on
linux/windows desktop? Can I run the gmail java-client for symbian on a
linux/windows desktop? I don't think so, since google even seems to be
bundling a separate version of the gmail-app for every version of symbian.

I'm not a j2me expert, but most people don't run j2me apps on the desktop because desktops have resources enough to run a full JVM. If you're running a j2me app on the desktop it is usually for development purposes.

The 770 is different because it has a nice screen and decent resolution, but a full JVM would be a little excessive. IMHO, a hildonized j2me with full access to the device's hardware would be perfect.

The GNU/classpath community has done a great job using GTK to create an open source java stack, but j2me wasn't really part of that development effort. It is not quite as simple as taking a subset of classpath and hildonizing the gtk part, but having Sun's code now for the MIDP stuff might help.

Luis