Not had any problem with the network as we don't transfer big files.

I think Frantisek might be on to something. We defiantly had the problem writing files to the MMC and they don't even have to be big. If you attempt to write data at a significantly faster speed than the MMC can actually do, then it just fills up the buffer, so if you carry on for a while it looks like it uses all the available memory (slowing you down), then in our case the program writing the file slowed down and things reached an equilibrium somewhere around the point of not really being usable. (we were testing a low level driver logging everything to a file).

If you want to prove (although perhaps not conclusively) it is a network issue then find some way of transferring the same files but don't store them anywhere (e.g. pipe to /dev/null) so it never hits the MMC bottleneck, or perhaps put a 250MB file on an MMC and send it the other way (although presumably this will be the speed ot the MMC bottleneck from the beginning but see if it gets worse).

Shame the drivers are not open source as the others have said, because if you do 'prove' it is the wireless driver there is not a lot that can be done. If it is an MMC bottleneck then perhaps best to find a way to drop the transfer speed down to that of the MMC bottleneck so your device doesn't slow down (also try faster MMC cards with the fast drivers, although I'm not sure they are stable yet).

Regards
Simon