On  12-Dec-2006, at 17:15 , Osvaldo Santana wrote:
Would it be possible to package readline.so separately so that
Python developers can apt-get install python-readline, while regular
users can save half a meg?

It's possible to make another package with the readline.so module, but
the Python interactive mode will not use it.

Why is this? This isn't a problem on other platforms. For instance, on the Mac readline used to be a separate distribution because of licensing issues.
--
Jack Jansen, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack