Tim Teulings wrote:

I few days ago I send a mail to the list in the tread "Non-gtk
application integration" that described a solution for non-gtk
application to open (and close) the text input window and to receive
virtual keyboard input. Please take a look at the archive...

Communication between Application and and Virtual Keyboard uses X11
client messages. Looks like you have to emulate this.

I got the information by using a special server proxy (xmon) that was
placed between the client and the real (xephyr) server and that dumped
all client messages between the given applications. I then had to
analyse the raw protocol data trying by trying to find character codes
and atom ids... Analysis was done using the desktop emulation.

Yes, thank you! It seems that part of this reverse-engineering work is already done by Phil Cowans (see [1]), so I feel I have enough info about this API to implement alpha-version.

[1] http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/pjc51/hildon_im.txt

Unfortunately, scratchbox-0.9 doesn't work under 64bit system (i'm AMD64 Gentoo user) and according to maemo.org, Maemo doesn't work with scratchbox-1.0 (which is available under x86_64 [2]), so I'll try to install some 32-bit Debian to begin development.

[2] http://www.rahkonen.org/projects.html

--
With best regards,
Ilya V. Schurov.