On 1/9/07, Brad Midgley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
hey

> There is another problem: The N770 has a USB-Host mode (which is
> necessary if you want to run such IrDA adapters) but it does not power
> the USB port. I have made an adapter cable to power 5 Volts to an
> external HDD drive via USB and it worked very well. But I think for a IR
> transmitter this solution would be very unhandy.

by the time you do all this you'll wonder why you're not using wifi or
bluetooth to send commands. It would be easier to set up a pc that will
relay commands over IR or a media pc that will just act on them.

Phillips RC9800i has both IR and 802.11g. I got the IR support working
in half an hour and I still haven't gotten around to building a
computer to relay IR signals over 11g.

My media server is located in the basement. I use a UPNP AV player
like the DSM-520 to play the media. There is no general purpose PC
located near the TV. This set up works well to support playing media
from TV's in four different rooms.

The other trouble with using radio is the you have to tell the remote
which room it is in. IR doesn't travel between rooms. If you carry an
IR remote to another room, it won't still control the TV in the first
room.

Brad

Jon Smirl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]