Hi,

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007, Gopi Flaherty wrote:
> Does anybody know if the N800 uses the same Bluetooth chipset as the
> 770?

770 has a TI chip while the N800 uses a CSR chip (BlueCore4).

To use SCO audio using existing bluez software you need to get the chip
into SCO over HCI mode (I think both devices are by default in SCO over
PCM mode, i.e. try to transfer audio over a direct HW link between the
bluetooth controller and the DSP). You'll probably find the procedure
for manipulating the SCO routing on the CSR chip somewhere on bluez
related web pages (maybe the available SW even does it automatically)
since CSR dongles are quite popular. I don't know the exact procedure my
self.

AFAIK, the procedure of changing the SCO routing on the TI chip requires
a proprietary TI HCI command. I'm not sure we can publish it since it's
documented in TI docs which have quite strict publication restrictions.
I.e. this still needs some internal investigation. However, even with
the command, neither the chip firmware nor the driver have been tested
with SCO so there is guarantee that it'd work.

We are currently working on integrating SCO support (Headset Profile to
be exact) nicely with the new and still experimental D-Bus based service
infrastructure of bluez and the rest of the internet tablet software.
The plan is to use the DSP routing instead of the HCI routing, which
should improve latencies. So, you should see support for this in some SW
update in the future. Unfortunately I can't give any exact schedule
currently, but you can follow the progress quite well simply by looking
at what's going on with bluez (i.e. CVS commits & mailing list
discussions). You'll probably see some preliminary support in the next
release of bluez-utils (version 3.9).

Oh, and it's possible that A2DP support will come along at some point
too since from the bluez side the plan is to integrate it to the same
audio daemon as HSP/HFP. However, from our (Nokia) perspective it hasn't
been given the same priority as HSP so in the short term support for it
will be very unofficial if it exists at all. Some ideas (a very early
draft) for the planed architecture can be found at the bluetooth-alsa
pages: http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/future.html

Johan