On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 11:40 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > > I did indeed, and a semi-snark-filled article deserves semi-snark-filled
> > > feedback.  It's reasonable.  Several of the criticisms were valid, and
> > > I'll tweak the article a bit appropriately.  And respond later on
> > > perhaps to some of the criticisms that I think were off the mark; at the
> > > very least the discussion might help me get a clue.
> >
> > I'm not sure we'll ever get rotation.
>
> On my Laptop running Ubuntu Edgy, the Screen Resolution has a Rotation
> drop-down which actually works. So I guess it's an X thing, so it should
> be possible with Maemo.

X supports rotation through the cunningly titled X Resize and Rotate
Extension, generally called randr.

The X server on the 770 and N800 doesn't support xrandr (though I have
seen a hacked 770 X server do randr), though Daniel Stone has said here
recently that making randr work well in Xomap is on his plan.  However
as the hildon desktop would fall apart dramatically if the display was
rotated, it's never been at the top of the list.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                          jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]