On 24 Jan 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> With lots of help from Aaron Levinson, I managed to get the pop-up
> keyboard to display (Emacs frames have an associated GDK Window I
> didn't know how to access).  Updated patch attached, and more to come.
> My other questions are still unresolved :)

It occurs to me that the essential question is actually, "how to make
any GTK widget a pop-up keyboard candidate"?

In the case of Emacs specifically, the widget is at

FRAME_X_OUTPUT (frame)->edit_widget

for any given frame.  But the tutorial says in
http://maemo.org/platform/docs/howtos/Maemo_tutorial_bora.html#Maemo-Text-input-methods
that "The input methods work automatically so that whenever text
widgets (entry, text view) are pressed or text inside them selected,
keyboard pops up. In the same way the keyboard is hidden automatically
when use selects some other widget."

So, is there a way to set properties or call functions to make this
widget work like a text widget as far as Hildon text input is
concerned?  If that's possible, it would make this and other GTK
applications that have non-text GTK widgets that want to receive text
input easier to port to Maemo.  If it's not possible, I'd like to know
it now.

That would be much better than my current solution, which looks for
frame focus events and handles key presses manually and with bugs.

Ted