Depending on what kind of information you need, you might also use the
python wireless tools bindings (pyiw
http://www.emperorlinux.com/etc/contrib/?page=pyiw). I have
successfully compiled and used them on the Sharp Zaurus
(http://geek-fr.com/blog/python_qt_wifi_and_the_zaurus).

In 15 minutes with Python you can make your Wifi network scanner and
post the results to a server.

Nicolas.